June 8, 2010

Waffles

When I headed off to college, it was known in my family that I couldn't really cook. The dorms I stayed in were apartment style with a kitchen. Immediately I tackled the task of making good food. That first Christmas I asked for a waffle iron. So my first, very own kitchen appliance was a waffle iron. I love waffles. Breakfast for dinner is the best dinner!

This waffle recipe originates from a cookbook compiled by my mom's college church congregation. Whipping the egg whites separately is a tip from my first roommate. These taste best right off the iron - I bake one and then eat it while the next one's baking. Halving this recipe makes a good amount for two people. Or any remaining batter can be stored in the fridge and made the next day. I also will bake up all the waffles and stick leftovers in the freezer. They taste great toasted in the toaster.

I sliced strawberries, sprinkled them with sugar, and let it sit overnight to make the sauce (the berries can sit for as little as 30 minutes with success as well). The sugar macerates the berries, so the juice is formed without any extra effort.


Waffles
3 c. Flour
4 eggs, separated
5 tsp. baking powder
2 ½ c. milk
1 tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. sugar
2/3 c. oil

Whip egg whites with electric mixer until fluffy and stiff. In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients (including egg yolks) together with electric mixer. Fold in egg whites. Pour onto waffle iron and bake.

No comments: