June 13, 2010

Angel Hair Tomato Basil Toss

I've been making this simple pasta dish for at least a decade.  It tastes great with fresh or canned/dried ingredients.  This makes a perfect accompaniment to chicken cutlets or chop cooked chicken and add to the pasta.  I added a few garlic scapes from my CSA share, which worked well, and I used a few leaves of fresh basil from my new plant.

Angel Hair Tomato Basil Toss
½ c. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ c. sliced green onions
3 lg. tomatoes, peeled and diced (or 14 ½ oz. can whole tomatoes, drained and diced)
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. coarse ground pepper
8 oz. angel hair pasta
grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, heat oil. Add garlic and green onions, stir fry one minute. Stir in tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Prepare pasta, drain. Toss tomato mixture with pasta. Serve immediately. Sprinkle with cheese.

No comments: