June 17, 2010

Strawberry Jam

I picked strawberries at a farm on Memorial Day. Berry picking always brings me a lot of joy. Some of the joy comes from knowing I did it myself, which would only be topped by actually growing the berries myself. But I have no yard, so this is not an option. Another reason I love berry picking is that I love berries! They are my favorite fruit.



I'm not a huge jam fan, but after making quick freezer jam with these berries, I may be a convert. The jam is a super vibrant color and is very tasty.

I bought the reduced-sugar pectin packet and used the reduced-sugar jam recipe. I can't tell there's sugar missing. The quick freezer recipe took no time at all with the most time being spent cleaning and hulling the strawberries.

Because we don't eat a lot of jam, and once it's thawed, it should be used within a few weeks, I made half the recipe from the pectin package and only filled my freezer containers half full. I'm loving the jam on a slice of 100% Whole Wheat Bread.



Strawberry Freezer Jam (Reduced Sugar)

4 cups fruit
3 cups sugar
1 box SURE.JELL For Less or No Sugar Needed Recipes Premium Fruit Pectin
1 cup water

Rinse clean plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly.

Crush strawberries, leaving large chunks. Measure exactly 4 cups prepared strawberries into large bowl.

Mix sugar and pectin in large saucepan. Stir in water. Bring to boil on medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 min. Remove from heat. Add strawberries; stir 1 min. or until well blended.

Fill all containers immediately to within 1/2 inch of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Jam is now ready to use. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks or freeze extra containers up to 1 year. Thaw in refrigerator before using.

No comments: