June 8, 2010

Strawberry Gelato

I think this strawberry gelato is divine. Mine turned out a bright pink color without adding the pomegranate juice, but my strawberries were picked ripe right off the bush. My sister would love this recipe - one of her favorites is strawberry ice cream. I'd love to make her some but she's a little far away (hint, hint).


Strawberry Gelato
from Bon Appetit

3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 1/4 cups sliced hulled strawberries (or 2 cups pureed strawberries)
2 tablespoons pomegranate juice (optional)

Stir sugar and cornstarch in heavy medium saucepan. Whisk in milk and cream. Whisk over medium heat until gelato base thickens and begins to bubble, about 5 minutes. Pour into bowl. Cool over ice, stirring occasionally.

Puree strawberries in processor. Strain into gelato base. Mix in pomegranate juice. Chill 3 hours. Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to container. Cover; freeze until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 2 days.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

okay! I'm coming now.. there better be some ready when I get there!