June 25, 2010

Sushi

I just discovered sushi in the last few years. Contrary to popular belief, sushi is not raw fish. Sushi refers to the rice preparation - basically, vinegared rice. Since my husband detests seafood, I often make veggie only sushi and sometimes add tuna from a can. This time I decided to try steak, and I loved it.



Sushi

Rice:
1 cup short grain rice (short grain or sticky rice is the key to sushi)
2 cups water
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. rice vinegar (unseasoned)

3-4 nori (seaweed sheets)
fillings - see below
condiments - see below

Combine rice and water in rice maker (or make on stove top - a rice maker is super easy. I highly recommend getting one.) and cook until rice is done. Combine sugar, salt, and rice vinegar in small saucepan. Cook and stir over high heat until sugar and salt dissolve - this does not take very long at all. Remove from heat. Pour over hot rice and stir to combine. Put rice in refrigerator to chill. I'm not sure how long it takes to chill - probably at least 2 hours.

Meanwhile prepare filling ingredients for sushi rolls. For steak, I seasoned a tender cut with salt and pepper and sauteed in a pan until medium well. After cooling for a few minutes, slice thinly. For veggies, cut into julienned strips. The thin strips allow the veggies to come together tightly when rolled.



Filling ideas:
carrots
cucumber
avocado
bell peppers
celery
scallions
tuna
steak
pickled ginger - this is a must ingredient. But then again I'm a ginger loving freak. Small jars are available that keep in the fridge since you most likely won't use all of it at one time

A bamboo rolling sheet is not necessary to make sushi rolls, but it does help. If using one, wrap in plastic wrap. You'll thank yourself later because cleaning dried up rice off the bamboo is not very easy. Lay the nori sheet on the bamboo sheet. Some say shiny side up or down, I can never remember and it works fine both ways. Have a dish of water nearby. Dip your hand in water and get a handful of chilled rice and start spreading over the nori. Keep dipping your hand in water as necessary. Spread rice all the way to the edge, except leave about an inch along the top of the sheet free of rice. Layer filling ingredients near bottom of sheet, opposite side of the rice free part.

Start rolling from the ingredient side and squeeze tight with each rotation. When all the way rolled up, use water to seal the nori to itself. Slice each roll into 6-8 slices.

Condiments
Pickled ginger
Wasabi sauce
Sauce made of soy sauce and chili oil with water added to dilute saltiness, if needed

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I've never tried sushi because I don't eat fish. But I didn't really know there are other options. Maybe I'll give it a try one day.

Sheena said...

I love making sushi now! Thanks for your inspiration!