September 15, 2010

Slow-Roasted Tomatoes

I'm freaking out over the fact that fresh, ripe tomatoes will be leaving my life soon for most of the next year. My mom gave me the idea to slow-roast them and then stick them in the freezer. So I did, and it's taking a lot of willpower not to eat them all now.

I can't wait to figure out how to use these, because the dish already has a high chance of success if it includes these tasty morsels.

before

after

Slow-Roasted Tomatoes
from Gourmet Magazine

4 pounds tomatoes, cherry or grape tomatoes halved lengthwise, larger tomatoes cut in quarters or eighths
6 garlic cloves, minced
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1.Preheat oven to 200°F with racks in upper and lower thirds.

2. Put tomatoes, cut side up, in 2 large 4-sided sheet pans. Combine garlic and oil and spoon over tomatoes. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper.

3. Roast in oven 6 to 8 hours (tomatoes will be greatly reduced in size but still moist). Cool.

Note: Roasted tomatoes keep in an airtight container, chilled, 2 weeks. Bring to room temperature before using. Or freeze in a ziploc bag up to several months.

1 comment:

krhjohns said...

Okay, I roasted mine today. Tell me what to do next.