September 10, 2010

Chili

I guess have made and eaten a lot of okay chili in my life, because chili and scrumptious food don't usually get mentioned in the same sentence. But that all changed when my mom sent me her friend's recipe for chili about two years ago. Chili can be scrumptious, did you know that?

This chili is bursting with flavor and is so hearty and filling. My husband asked for chili a few weeks ago when it was still super hot and humid outside. I told him to wait, but I ended up making it on a pleasant summer day (not humid at least). Oh well, it was a preview of fall cooking to come.


I usually don't measure things out exactly in this recipe - especially the spices. I also don't always have Accent seasoning, which is just a blend of spices. I refuse to buy it, and at one point I had a recipe for it, but can't find it now. So feel free to leave it out - my chili still tastes amazing without it.

Chili
from L. Hickman

1 c. diced onions
1 c. diced green peppers
1 cloves garlic, crushed
1 lb. ground beef (1/2 lb. works just fine too)
1 lb. can of tomatoes, whole
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
3 c. tomato juice
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. Tobasco
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 Tbsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 Tbsp. paprika
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. Accent seasoning
¼ tsp. sweet basil
¼ tsp. rosemary
¼ tsp. marjoram
¼ tsp. thyme
1 tsp. cumin
2 cans kidney beans, drained
Few dashes cayenne pepper

Brown ground beef and garlic; add onions and peppers and cook. Add tomato juice, whole tomatoes and tomato paste. Add remaining ingredients and let simmer for 3-4 hours.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Love this chili because it has sooooo much flavor! And you know how obsessed I am with FLAVOR!! I'm also looking forward to the cooler cooking weather. We probably won't see as many ice cream recipes from you, but I bet we see more desserts!!