These were hearty and making me pine for colder weather so I can change up my cooking. I served them with a dollop of creme fraiche (no sugar or syrup on top - see I am healthy).
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 medium apples, peeled and coarsely grated
Vegetable oil, for frying
Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
1. Mix the eggs with the milk in a large bowl. Stir in the maple syrup.
2. In a smaller bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together.
3. Combine the wet and the dry ingredients and stir in the apples.
4. Heat a thin layer of oil in a skillet over low to medium heat. Drop large spoonful of batter into the pan and flatten it out a little (otherwise, you might have trouble getting them to cook in the center) and cook until golden brown underneath. Flip the pancakes and cook them for an additional two or three minutes.
5. Either dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately, or keep on a tray in a warmed oven until you are ready to serve them.