January 1, 2015

Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette

I have avoided buying salad dressings for several years now. The standard dressings are full of junk and don't even taste that good. This dressing goes well on almost anything. I usually leave out the fresh garlic unless I know I'll be using up the dressing within a few days.

On a side note, this summer and fall I've been buying a very tasty, zesty green mix from a local farmer. It tastes amazing with this dressing, and doesn't need anything else. Now that winter has come, I bought the run-of-the-mill romaine hearts from the grocery store to make a salad. I was taken back by the taste - not just a lack of, but actually an unpleasant taste. Can't wait for my local greens to come around again - possibly as soon as March.


Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette

1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. water
1 small garlic clove, minced (optional)
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 c. olive oil

Stir together all ingredients except olive oil. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking the dressing. Store in the refrigerator for a few weeks, though with fresh garlic, it may not last as long.

No comments: