May 2, 2013

Vanilla Coconut Popcorn

When I was in high school, I used to say my favorite foods were onions (in stuff, not raw), black licorice, and popcorn. Still love all three, though I might have to add a few more items to the list. I'm so excited to have discovered a few new ways to prepare popcorn lately (maple-glazed). Scrumptious!

I was skeptical about coating the popcorn with coconut oil, but with the vanilla and honey, this all worked together beautifully. I haven't tried using butter to coat, but the original recipe says either one will work. I knew butter would be delicious, but I wanted to branch out. The added coconut flakes were good, but for some reason I couldn't taste them that much. Not sure if that was just me, but in the future I might leave out the flakes. Also fine flakes would probably mostly collect at the bottom of the bowl, as the large flakes tended to do that too.


Vanilla Coconut Popcorn
adapted from Greens and Seeds

1 T. coconut oil
1/2 c. popcorn kernels
1/4 c. large flake coconut (if using fine-flaked, use a little less)
2 T. butter or coconut oil
2 T. honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
salt to taste

Heat 1 Tbsp. oil and 2 or 3 of the corn kernels in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium or medium high heat. When the kernels pop, add the rest of them to the pot and cover. Shake the pot every 10 seconds or so until you don’t hear any popping for about 10 seconds. Remove from the heat and let sit until it finishes popping. Pour into a large bowl.

Place the coconut in a small skillet over medium low. Toast the flakes until they turn a bit brown and fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Don’t let them burn. Toss into the bowl with the popped popcorn.

In the same skillet, heat the butter or 2 Tbsp. coconut oil until melted. Add the honey and vanilla and stir to combine. When it starts to bubble, turn off the heat. Pour over the popcorn and toss to coat.

No comments: