May 12, 2013

Almond Meal from Leftover Almond Milk Pulp

I recently posted how to make almond milk from raw almonds. The recipe leaves water-logged ground almonds (which I'll call pulp) that do not work in recipes calling for almond meal. After doing some research, it turns out you can easily turn the pulp into almond meal (aka almond flour) by dehydrating the almonds. I was able to do so in my oven, and it was very easy. Since it takes a while to dehydrate the pulp into meal, my work method is to put the pulp into the freezer until I've collected several batches after a few rounds of almond milk. I'm excited to try out more recipes that call for almond meal since I'll have plenty of it from now on.

On the left is the pulp, the right is the dehydrated and ground meal:



Almond Meal from Leftover Almond Milk Pulp

Spread the water-logged ground almonds from several batches of almond milk onto a large cookie sheet(s). Set oven to lowest temperature (mine was 170 F) and cook for 7-9 hours, until almonds are dried out and start to stick together in clumps. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Grind up the almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Store almond meal in fridge or freezer to extend shelf life.

No comments: