May 10, 2013

Oatmeal Addiction

I'd have never thought I would gush about a basic bowl of oatmeal, but the truth is I've been eating this oatmeal almost daily now for about a month. It's that good. The author of the blog, Kath Eats Real Food, is an oatmeal champion. Check out this link to see how many variations of this oatmeal she's made. And they all look amazing. She uses this basic recipe, and then adds all sorts of creative toppings. I've only tried a few topping combinations and am still satisfied. And yes, the topping featured below uses chocolate chips, but I've eaten many a bowl sans chocolate chips.

Even though in the past I used to eat oatmeal pretty plain, including no sweeteners, I enjoy the slight sweetness provided by the banana here. The banana and chia seeds really help the oatmeal to be fluffy, or whipped, as Kath calls it. Every time I add a dollop of almond butter as one of my toppings, and it's my favorite part.

A plug for Kath Eats blog - I've only been following her for a few months, and she doesn't post many recipes. What I find most helpful and inspiring are her posts about what she's eaten. She eats simply, but has amazing ideas for very healthy, but delicious-looking, meals. These ideas have already helped me to throw more things together in new ways. Check out this post for lunch box (or lunch at home) ideas.



Whipped Banana Oatmeal
adapted from Kath Eats

serves one

1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup almond milk
2/3 cup water
1/2 ripe banana, sliced thinly
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (just add a few drops, no need to measure)

toppings: almond butter (or other nut butter), fresh or frozen fruit, dried fruit, chocolate chips, granola, chopped nuts, hemp seeds, ground flax seeds, coconut, cottage cheese, pureed pumpkin, etc.

To a small saucepan, add oats, almond milk, water, banana slices, chia seeds, and salt. Heat over medium heat until it starts to boil. Use a spoon to stir and whip up the oatmeal, really just make sure the banana gets broken up. Allow to cook a few minutes more until it reaches desired thickness. Pour into a serving bowl and stir in vanilla extract. Add desired toppings and enjoy.

No comments: