These cupcakes are very lemony, so if you don't have lemon extract, just leave it out. The rosemary adds a faint flavor, but, as is my reaction with anything with fresh herbs, it adds a freshness.
I was excited to try out my new jumbo silicone muffin cups. The cupcakes popped right out.
Lemon Olive Oil Cupcakes with Rosemary
from The Creative Pot
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup olive oil
3 large eggs
2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
For the icing:
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups icing (confectioner's) sugar
1 or 2 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
zest of one lemon (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Combine sugar and olive oil in a mixing bowl and beat until light and creamy.
2. Add eggs one by one, beating after each addition.
3. Sift dry ingredients together, then add bit by bit to the egg mixture, alternating with the lemon juice. Stir well to combine.
4. Add lemon extract and rosemary and stir through.
5. Line a 12-cup muffin tray with cupcake liners and divide the batter evenly amongst the liners.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
7. Beat all the icing ingredients together until smooth, then use to frost cupcakes. Sprinkle lemon zest on top, if using.