March 26, 2013

Vanilla Cardamom Chia Seed Pudding

In the fall, I visited my parents. My mom is a smoothie lover and has one every day for breakfast, and she graciously shared while I was there. She adds in all sorts of healthy ingredients, including chia seeds. I decided to buy some chia seeds after I returned home, but only after that did I start noticing recipes everywhere containing chia seeds. One of the most common ways to use them is to soak them in liquid (like almond milk) to make a pudding-like substance. When soaked, the seeds plump up a little and lose their crunch. Add some delicious flavorings, and you've got pudding.

This recipe for chia seed pudding uses vanilla, cardamom, and maple syrup for a delicious pudding. I ate it with honey-poached clementines for breakfast.



Vanilla Cardamom Chia Seed Pudding
adapted from What's Cooking Good Looking

1 1/2 cups almond milk
1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 cup chia seeds (you can add a little more if you like the pudding to be thicker)

Make the pudding by placing all of the ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and stir to combine everything. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight (or for a minimum of three hours).

The chia seed pudding will keep for several days in an air tight container in the fridge.

No comments: