July 31, 2012

More Cardamom Love

We're pretty boring when it comes to beverages at my place - water is it. When I was revisiting the amazing Super Natural Every Day last week, I noticed the recipe for this Indian beverage called for cardamom and was alcohol-free. So I gave it a try. Super good and spicy. The only problem was that "sediment" collected at the bottom of the cup, so I kept stirring it while drinking. Also, you'll notice I have no ice. No beverages served means no ice kept in the freezer.

The flowers pictured are from my CSA.


Sparkling Panakam
from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson

1/4 cup fine-grain natural cane sugar or muscovado sugar
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
4 cups/1 liter sparkling water, chilled
Ice cubes

In a medium pitcher, make a thick paste by stirring together the sugar, ginger, cardamom, lime juice, salt, and a small splash of the sparkling water. Stir until any lumps have dissolved. Add more water, a little at a time, stirring all the while. The mixture will get quite fizzy, so just take it slow. Serve as cold as possible with as many ice cubes wedged into the pitcher as possible.

No comments: