October 6, 2010

Spinach and Black Bean Enchiladas

I am usually very good about planning out a menu each Saturday, and then I go to the store and buy everything I need for the week. This works out well, though planning menus can be painful. It's totally worth it when I can come home from work and start right on dinner, because I know what to make and I have everything I need.

Occasionally, I don't plan. That's what happened last week. I knew I had a ton of food waiting for me, but I wasn't sure how it would all come together. In this situation, usually I make something not so good.

I surprised myself by making up a recipe and it turned out good. So good that my husband, who usually doesn't make that many comments about dinner, spoke up and told me these enchiladas were surprisingly tasty. I almost fell off my chair. How could a tortilla filled primarily with spinach and no meat be good? He did admit that he was super hungry, so maybe anything he ate would have tasted excellent. Still...


Spinach and Black Bean Enchiladas

1 cup black beans
1 poblano pepper, diced
1 chili pepper, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1/3 cup feta cheese, shredded
4 10-inch whole wheat tortillas
enchilada sauce - see recipe below

Add the peppers and garlic to a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Saute for 5 minutes, or until the peppers begin to slightly soften. Remove from heat. Combine peppers, spinach, black beans and cheese in a large bowl and toss to combine.

Spoon a little bit of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a baking dish – just enough sauce to create a very thin coating.

To form the enchiladas: Place a small handful of the spinach and cheese mixture onto each tortilla. Roll up the tortilla and place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat with other tortillas. Cover with the rest of the sauce. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Enchilada Sauce
adapted from Everyday Food by runningfoodie

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 small chipotle chile in adobo, minced, plus 1 tablespoon sauce (from a small can)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium. Add flour, chili powder, oregano, garlic, and salt and cook for 1 minute. Add broth, chipotle and adobo sauce, and 3/4 cup water, and vinegar; bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer until lightly thickened, about 10 minutes.

No comments: