January 29, 2016

Coconut Oatmeal Bars with Chocolate

I asked my 3-year-old what treat she wanted to make. She said something with coconut and chocolate. I couldn't think of anything, so I found this recipe. I loved the simple preparation, and the bars were yummy. I reduced the sugar content from the original (1 cup) and found it still satisfying.


Coconut Oatmeal Bars with Chocolate
from Epicurious

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar or coconut sugar
1 cup chocolate chips (semisweet)
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 tsp.vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with butter.

Toss together oats, flour, brown sugar, chips, coconut, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Beat together butter, egg, and vanilla with a fork in another bowl, then stir into oat mixture until incorporated. Spoon batter into baking pan, patting evenly.

Bake in middle of oven until set, about 25 minutes. Cool, then cut into squares.

No comments: