January 26, 2016

Cincinnati Chili

I grew up mostly in Cincinnati. I did not grow up on Cincinnati chili. In my teen years, my family finally tried the much-famed Cincinnati chili. My brothers fell in love. I didn't, but then when I moved away, I found I wanted some every once in a while. This recipe was excellent, but I can't say if it's a copy of Skyline Chili (one of the chain restaurants that serves it).



Cincinnati Chili
from My Husband Cooks

5 cups water
1 ¼ lbs lean ground beef
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 8 oz. tomato sauce
4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground allspice
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate, shaved
1 bay leaf

To serve:
2 c. grated sharp cheddar
1 lb. spaghetti, cooked according to package
1 medium onion chopped (optional)
1 can of kidney beans, drained (optional)


In a large pot, heat the water to a boil. Once boiling, add the ground meat and break it up a little.

Let it return to a boil and add the tomato sauce, salt, onion, garlic and Worcestershire sauce.

Let it return to a boil and add all the spices (except the bay leaf) and the chocolate. Stir.

Turn down the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes. You can skim some of the fat if you like. Let it cool for 10 minutes. Using an immersion blender, blend the chili until most of the big pieces of onion are gone and the meat has been made loose but still identifiable.

Add bay leaf and return to the pot to the stove. Cook at a simmer for another 40 minutes. Serve over spaghetti or over a hot dog, add on desired toppings, and enjoy.

No comments: