July 16, 2013

CSA Week 4 and Garlic Scape Pesto

Week 4 of my CSA: kale, baby bok choy, lettuce, cucumber, scallions, garlic scapes, green tomato, and a tomato plant. (tomato and tomato plant not pictured)  I'm a little behind on posting, so I actually can't quite remember how I used up all these delicious veggies.  I will share a fried green tomato salad later.



I overheard someone at the farmer's market talking about garlic scape pesto and decided I would try it. Um, delicious! It's very garlicy, but different than regular garlic cloves. It's strong, but possibly a little more mellow. I ate the pesto over pasta and gobbled it down. The next day I put on top of salmon.


Garlic Scape Pesto
adapted from Food 52

1 cup garlic scapes, thinly sliced crosswise
1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts
1/2 cup good olive oil
1/4 cup Parmesan
salt and pepper, to taste

Add the scapes and pine nuts (or walnuts) to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until everything is broken up a bit. Then turn the processor back on, and with it running, add the oil a little at a time until it's fully incorporated. Add cheese, pulse, then season with salt and pepper to taste. This won't brown like basil pesto will, so if you're not using immediately, just store in a container in the fridge for up to a week.

No comments: