July 19, 2013

Black Bean, Rice, Guacamole, and Salsa Burritos

I've found an easy, delicious combination that I keep returning to - black beans, rice, guacamole, and salsa.  Pictured below are these items gathered for a simple lunch with a friend for assemble your own.  I also had sour cream, but I really think these burritos taste better without the sour cream.

When I plan my menu for the week I purposely plan at least one meal around beans, and this one is quick and yummy, so we have it a lot.  In the winter I like to use grape tomatoes, but in summer use any kind that are ripe.  Also, I've worked in cooking up a large pot of beans and then freezing them in smaller quantities for later use to my routine.



Black Bean, Rice, Guacamole, and Salsa Burritos

2 cups home-cooked black beans or 1 can black beans
olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
salt and pepper
cooked brown rice
guacamole (1 avocado, lime juice, salt, cilantro)
salsa (tomatoes, lime juice, salt, cilantro, green onions)
shredded cheddar cheese
flour tortillas

Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large skillet.  Heat over medium heat and add onions and garlic.  Saute until onions are translucent.  Add beans (drained, but can leave some liquid), cumin, chili powder,  and salt and pepper to taste.  Use more salt if using home-cooked beans.  Stir to combine and cook until beans are heated through.

Make guacamole by peeling and removing the pit of one avocado.  Mash with a fork in a bowl.  Add freshly squeezed lime juice, salt, and chopped cilantro.  Taste and adjust seasonings.

Make salsa by chopping 1 large or a couple small tomatoes.  Chop cilantro and green onions and add to tomatoes.  Add freshly squeezed lime juice, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil.  Stir to combine.

Assemble burritos: Over one tortilla, layer cheese, a scoop of beans, rice, salsa, and guacamole.  Roll up or fold in half like a taco.


No comments: