June 25, 2013

CSA - Week 1 and Sauteed Kale with Salmon

In 2010, I documented my CSA (community supported agriculture) share each week and the ways/recipes I used to prepare the produce. I am going to do the same with my CSA this year as it helps motivate me to be creative with the vegetables and fruits I receive.

It's been a cold, rainy start to the summer, so the growing is slow to start.  The first week I received kale, blue potatoes, cucumber, lettuce, green garlic (looks like green onions), and chives.


I thought it would be fun to make a mixed potato dish by making Roasted Potatoes with blue potatoes, white potatoes, and sweet potatoes.  I also used some chives.  This was a fun dish, but didn't taste as exciting as it looked.  It's still just roasted potatoes (which are good!).


My husband still won't eat seafood, but I recently decided to make an effort to eat salmon for lunch once a week with my toddler.  This lunch was so good - one I gobbled up.


Sauteed Kale and Green Garlic with Salmon and Rice

1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 bunch green garlic, white and light green parts, sliced or 1 clove garlic, minced
olive oil
salt and pepper
salmon fillet
white and black sesame seeds (optional)
fresh lemon juice

Heat olive oil in a pan (cast iron adds a lot of flavor) over medium heat. If using green garlic, add to pan and saute for a few minutes before adding kale. If using garlic clove, add garlic and kale at the same time. Saute, stirring frequently until kale is slightly wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Salmon: Season with salt and pepper and white and black sesame seeds (optional). Add to pan with a splash of olive oil (make the kale, and then use the same pan). Allow salmon to cook for a few minutes until golden brown. Flip over and cook a few minutes more until the flesh flakes easily with a fork. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top and garnish with chives (optional). Serve on top of the kale with brown rice.

No comments: