June 24, 2013

Coconut Whipped Cream

I absolutely love berry picking. I went to a fabulous berry farm and picked strawberries, and they were beautiful. They are fabulous just eaten plain, but I also enjoy a little extra sweetness too. I topped a bowl of sliced strawberries with coconut whipped cream and cacao nibs, and it was heaven.

I've recently discovered coconut whipped cream and am delighted with its prospects (another recipe coming using coconut milk as cream). There is a slight flavor that gives away its true identity, but if you're not looking for it, I think it's pretty undetectable. I don't have anything against real cream (especially organic, grass-fed cream), but I like having options. This is an easy way to reduce animal/dairy products and is a perfect option for those with lactose intolerance.




Coconut Whipped Cream

1 can full-fat coconut milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
powdered sugar or maple syrup, to taste

Put the can of coconut milk upside down in the fridge for at least several hours to help separate the cream from the milk. Flip can over and open it. The watery milk should be at the top. Pour it off and save for another use. The firmer cream should be left in the can. Scoop into a bowl. Use a mixer to whip the cream to a nice consistency. Add vanilla and sweetener (start with just a few teaspoons) and whip to combine. Taste and add more sweetener if necessary. Store the whipped cream in the fridge, because as it warms up, it will start to melt.



No comments: