January 24, 2013

Millet for Breakfast

I've been interested in less-common grains for a few years now. My intent is to share some info and recipes with you for several grains you may not be too familiar with.

I'm so excited that I received a grain mill from my parents for Christmas! I haven't used it that much yet, just due to my lack of wheat supply. I'm trying to find a good-price source of whole wheat berries to purchase for long-term storage. Just yesterday, I bought a small amount of wheat berries, so I'll be making some bread soon.

In the meantime, I already had some whole grain millet on hand and thought I'd try it out in the mill, as I've seen several recipes with millet flour. I ended up making waffles with millet flour, but they were just okay. I'll have to do more experimenting with millet flour.

You can also add millet whole and uncooked to baked goods, adding a little crunch. Check out these muffins.

And lastly, millet can be boiled to make a porridge for breakfast. I often eat oatmeal for breakfast, but it's nice to change things up once in a while. I really liked this simple recipe for breakfast millet.



Spiced Millet Breakfast Bowl
from Casa Yellow

2 c. millet
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 c. plain yogurt
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 c. dried fruit (figs, currants, cranberries, or raisins)
1/4 c. pecans, chopped

In a pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add 2 cups millet, give a quick stir with a wooden spoon, and then reduce to a simmer. Cover. Cook for 20-30 minutes, until water is mostly absorbed and millet is tender. After you turn off the heat, keep the lid on the pot, and let steam for 10-15 minutes. Cooked millet can then be stored in the refrigerator until breakfast-time.

When ready to eat, in a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the millet and spices, tossing to coat and warm through. While millet is heating up, stir a few tablespoons of maple syrup into the yogurt, flavoring to taste.

When the millet is hot, scoop it into bowls. Top each with a big swirl of the maple yogurt, dried fruit, and pecans.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

easy enough! I will have to search out some millet. Also, on my way to research the nutritional value of millet. Is the flavor like oatmeal or more wheaty flavor?

Denae said...

I'd say the flavor is more like oatmeal than wheat. Even though nutrition comes into play, I like using different grains for variety's sake too.