January 28, 2013

Carrot and Leek Soup

So it's not been until the past year or two that I've discovered pureed vegetable soups. I've been missing out! One of the first ones I remember making and loving is potato leek soup. Really, all you need to do is cook any vegetables until tender in water or broth, then puree. I still haven't tried plain carrot soup, but I mean too. Leeks are so delicious, though, that I'm not sure I want to leave them out.

My soup turned out a little brown in color, but I think that is because I over-browned the vegetables before adding the water. Otherwise, it may have turned out more of an orange hue.



Carrot Leek Soup
adapted from Recetas de Mon

4 medium leeks, sliced into half moons (immerse in a bowl of water, swish around, drain to remove dirt)
4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into thin coins
1 onion, diced
olive oil
salt
pepper

Drizzle a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a large pot. Add the carrots and onions, allow to cook for about five minutes, until they start to soften. Add the leeks and saute everything together for five more minutes. Add cold water to cover the vegetables and bring to a boil. When it starts to boil, lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove at least half the broth, reserve. Use an immersion blender to blend the remaining broth and vegetables until smooth. Add more broth as needed for desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments: