March 25, 2012

Tub Cleaner

A friend of mine introduced me to homemade cleaners a few years back. For some reason, it has taken me this long time to really try and convert to solely using homemade, natural, toxic-free cleaning products, but I'm almost there. Mixing up a batch of this bath scrub takes 2 minutes - that's easier than any of the other recipes I have posted. One of the best things is that I like this tub cleaner better than any other commercial product I have tried.

Have you heard of castile soap? It's liquid, all-natural soap (extra virgin coconut, olive, jojoba and hemp oils) that works wonders. Really, it's very powerful. Dr. Bronner's is the brand I've found, available at Trader Joe's. It may seem a little pricey, but it's so potent that a little goes a long way. Also, I recommend buying a big bottle of vinegar and a large box of baking soda. The more you buy, the cheaper the unit cost.

I'm convinced that most commercial cleaning products out there are simply a marketing scheme. Before Soft Scrub, how did anyone clean their tubs? That's what they want you to think, but a few generations ago they used common household products to clean. Where did that knowledge go?


Tub Cleaner
from Clean House, Clean Planet by Karen Logan

1 2/3 c. baking soda
1/2 c. liquid castile soap
2 Tbsp. water
2 Tbsp. white vinegar

Mix baking soda with liquid soap in a bowl. Add water. Mix with a fork until smooth. Stir in vinegar. Scoop the paste into a pint-size glass jar. Add warm water if it dries out before you use it all, and stir before use if needed.

2 comments:

Herryponting said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Love that you are spreading the toxic-free love! Seriously I miss you!