March 2, 2012

Fudgy Oatmeal Bars

We're moving to a different apartment, and so I'm in clean-out mode, including the kitchen. I found a few old cans of sweetened condensed milk. Cooking with processed foods like sweetened condensed milk isn't my style anymore, but this recipe was worth it. I remember my mom making these when I was growing up. The chocolate layer is super fudgy and so good.


Fudgy Oatmeal Bars
from my mother

2 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 ½ c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
3 c. oats
2 c. chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. salt

Mix brown sugar, 1 c. butter, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir in flour, baking soda, and ½ tsp. salt. Stir in oats. Reserve one-third of the oatmeal mixture. Press remaining oatmeal mixture in 15 ½ x 10 ½ x1 inch pan (jelly roll) or 9 x 13 inch pan.

Heat chips, milk, 2 Tbsp. butter over low heat until melted, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and ½ tsp. salt. Spread over oatmeal mixture in pan. Drop reserved oatmeal mixture by teaspoonful onto bars. Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown at 350˚. While warm, cut into bars.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ain't nesting grand...moving not so much. Matt came home from work and saw your baby shower invite. He said, "Oh, that's a nice thing to see." Thank you for inviting us. We were there in spirt.

Danielle said...

I forgot about these. I think I am going to have to make them for a Sunday treat tomorrow.