July 8, 2011

Blueberries and Cream Ice Cream

Fourth of July weekend I picked some blueberries at a local farm. Besides getting fresh blueberries, I love the actual picking. It's simply fun. The weather even cooperated - it was a little cooler and overcast.

I bookmarked this blueberry ice cream recipe last summer, but sometimes it takes a while for the stars to align to allow the perfect timing for some recipes to be made. I'm glad this recipe didn't totally fall off my radar, because this is definitely a keeper. One to make at least once every summer.

This is actually one of the simpler ice cream recipes I've made. The texture for this ice cream was perfect - soft and creamy. And the color is gorgeous. I need to use up the rest of my huge bag of blueberries soon. I'm thinking I will prepare the blueberry, water, and sugar portion and then freeze it in a ziploc bag to finish up on a early (still warm) autumn day. I love finding forgotten surprises in my freezer!


Blueberries and Cream Ice Cream
from Susi

2 cups (8 oz/ 250g) fresh blueberries
3/4 cup (6 fl oz/180 ml) water
1 cup (8 oz/ 250 g) sugar
1 cup (8 fl oz/ 250 ml) heavy cream
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

In a heavy saucepan, combine the fresh blueberries, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally too help dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let stand for 30 minutes to steep.

Transfer the blueberry mixture to a blender. Process until smooth, about 1 minute. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours.

Add the cream and lemon juice to the blueberry puree and stir to combine.

Pour the mixture in to an ice-cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to freezer-safe container. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours or up to 3 days, before serving.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Oh my aching diet....