May 8, 2011

Chocolate Mousse

Could it be: a fabulous dessert with only two ingredients? Plus calories burned and arm muscles built up in the process? YES.

I was skeptical that this method would work to create mousse, but it definitely does. I was whipping it by hand, getting tired and taking breaks, but then all of the sudden, it had turned liquid to solid. I loved it without the optional sugar, but my husband thought I messed up and used unsweetened chocolate. I used Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate chips (which by the way my husband eats plain and doesn't think are too chocolately), but next time may splurge and try the Valrhona chocolate and also add the sugar.

I'm posting this today in honor of my mother - I'm sure if she tries it, she will love it (without the added sugar).


Chocolate Mousse
from Herve This & Heston Blumenthal found on Cafe Fernando

makes 4 servings

9.35 ounces (265 grams) bittersweet (%70 cocoa solids) chocolate, chopped (preferably Valrhona Guanaja)
1 cup (240 ml) water
4 tbsp sugar, optional

Place a large mixing bowl on top of another slightly smaller one, filled with ice and cold water (the bottom of the large bowl should touch the ice). Set aside.

Put chocolate and water (also sugar if you’re using) in a medium-sized pan and melt the chocolate over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Pour the melted chocolate into the mixing bowl sitting on top of ice and water, and start whisking with a wire whisk (or an electrical hand-held mixer) until thick. Watch the texture as you whip and make sure not to over-whip as it will make the mousse grainy. If the mousse becomes grainy (which is possible at your first try), transfer it back into the pan, reheat until half of it is melted, pour it back to the mixing bowl and whisk again briefly.

Divide into four serving cups and serve immediately.

3 comments:

Jeff and Natalie Perez said...

um YUM!!! This is going to be my treat for next weekend! I can't wait to try it, and get my arm workout :)

Suzanne said...

Oh my. Just, Oh my.

Debra said...

Wow, hard to beleive that will really turn into mousse! Need to go buy the right chocolate to try this. We are always on the same wave length! I requested mousse for mother's day, but didn't get it.