May 23, 2011

Asparagus with Poached Eggs

I am fascinated with the way I've seen eggs served as an unexpected addition to a variety of dishes. Adding a poached egg for an extra protein boost is something not very common in my American experience. Here are some places I've seen the egg: Italian pizza, crepes, Asian dishes (bibimbap), pasta, and on hamburger. When I first saw eggs used in these ways I was a little shocked, but the idea is definitely growing on me. I love eggs, so what's not to love about adding them any and every where?

Eggs and asparagus are, apparently, often paired together. After getting some fresh asparagus from the farmer's market, I was looking for a new way to prepare it and came across this idea. I was definitely pleased with the results. Meals inspired by ingredients that are in season are always the best!


Asparagus with Poached Eggs
adapted from Good Everyday Things

1/2 lb asparagus
1 Tbsp vinegar
3 eggs
pecorino romano cheese, grated
olive oil
salt and pepper

Tip: Start heating both pots of water at the same time.

Snap off hard ends of the asparagus and set aside. In a double boiler, fill the bottom with water. Set pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the top part and add asparagus. Cover with a lid. Steam for 3-8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Check asparagus periodically to prevent over cooking. When done, remove asparagus and arrange on a platter.

Fill a second medium pot with a few inches of water and bring to a boil. Add the vinegar and reduce heat to medium. One at a time, break each egg first into a small bowl and then tip carefully into the water, bringing together the white with a spoon if necessary. Cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until yolks are cooked to the desired consistency. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and arrange over the top of the asparagus. Sprinkle grated cheese, salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil over top. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

poached eggs have never been a fav, but if you made it, I'm sure it would be delicious.