December 1, 2010

Beef Stew

I know beef stew does not sound that interesting.  But can I say this could possibly be the best stew you'll ever taste?  The base is highly flavored and the beef very tender.  I love this stew, and so does my entire family.  My mom's been making it for years, to everyone's delight.

A couple years ago I put together a printed cookbook with many of my mom's classic recipes and gave it to family members.  I have two sisters-in-law.  When the second joined the family, the first said to her "All you need to make your new husband happy is in the cookbook."  I laughed a lot when I heard that.  This is definitely one of those recipes.  Right, bros?


Hearty Beef Stew
from Ann D

2 lb. beef chuck, cut into cubes
1 Tbsp. oil
4 c. water
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. paprika
2 bay leaves
dash of allspice
6 carrots, cut in quarters
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
¼ c. flour

In heavy Dutch oven, slowly brown beef cubes in shortening. Turn often to brown meat on all sides. This should take about 15 minutes. Then add water, onion, garlic, salt, lemon juice, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, paprika, bay leaves, and allspice. Cover with lid and simmer on low heat (do not boil) for 2 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. When meat is almost done, add carrots, onions, and potatoes, and simmer for 30 minutes more. Discard bay leaves. Pour ½ c. water in shaker and add ¼ c. flour, shake to blend. Either remove meat and vegetables from stock or move to one side in pan; stir in flour mixture. Cook and stir till gravy thickens and boils.

No comments: