August 5, 2010

Blackberry Jam

I bought some canning jars the other day because I thought they would be useful storage containers. I'm now one step closer to actually canning food. I thought about taking the plunge, but I don't have a pot large enough to boil the jars. Someday...

I don't know how much longer I'll be receiving blackberries in my CSA share, so I thought I'd make them last longer by preserving them in jam form. I haven't actually eaten the jam yet, as I put it in my freezer. My fridge already has a container of strawberry jam, so I'll have to wait until that's gone to take out the blackberry jam.


Blackberry Jam
adapted from several web sources

4 cups crushed blackberries
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

To prepare fruit: Sort and wash the blackberries. Crush the berries with a potato masher or back of a spoon.
To make jam: Measure crushed blackberries into a kettle. Add sugar and stir well. Boil rapidly, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 220° – 222° F or thickens. Remove from heat.

Pour into prepared jam containers. I put these jars of jam in the freezer, but sealing the jars through the canning process works as well.

No comments: