August 26, 2013

Pureed Beet Soup

So long time, no post. I've decided to make some changes to the blog. My main purpose is to catalog recipes I've made so I can easily find them for future use. So to help me do that, I may post recipes with no prose or photo. I don't want to let the fancy extras get in my way of recording good food! I do have some words and a photo for you today, though.

It's beet season in my CSA, so I reluctantly tried this beet soup. I'm still on the fence about beets, but I seriously loved this soup! It's creamy and sweet and probably a good introduction to beets for those who are just getting to know this gorgeous vegetable.



Pureed Beet Soup
adapted from Dishing Up the Dirt

1 tbsp coconut oil
3 large red beets, scrubbed clean and cut into 1/4 inch pieces (if organic, no need to peel)
1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup of full fat coconut milk
4-5 cups of vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pan heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beets, garlic and ginger. Cook for about 3-5 more minutes stirring often. Add 4 cups of vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer for about 25 minutes. Add cayenne pepper. Make sure beets are fork tender, and then carefully with a blender or immersion blender, puree the soup. Add more stock or water if it is too thick. Add coconut milk. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.

No comments: