October 23, 2012

Fish Tacos

I apologize for the lack of posts. I had a visitor and now am visiting my parents. My mom left my dad and me tonight to fend for ourselves, but suggested we make fish tacos. She had a recipe which was easy and delicious. I often order fish tacos when they're on the menu in a restaurant, so I'm glad to have my own recipe now.

Someday I will post my method for homemade corn tortillas made from masa harina. They're really easy and way better than store-bought corn tortillas. You can buy a bag of masa harina (corn flour for tortillas) in the mexican area of the grocery store. You add water, knead, roll out, and cook in a pan. The directions are on the bag. Totally worth the effort anytime you need corn tortillas.


Fish Tacos
adapted from Pampered Chef

1-2 limes, juiced
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1 small onion, diced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 c. mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. milk
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. thinly sliced cabbage
1 avocado, sliced
8 6-inch corn tortillas
1 lb. tilapia filets
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil

For salsa, combine 1 Tbsp. lime juice, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.

For sauce, combine 1 Tbsp. lime juice, mayonnaise, milk and garlic in a another small bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside.

Heat saute pan over medium-high heat. Season tilapia filets with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to pan. Add tilapia and cook a few minutes until lightly browned, and flip over. Cook until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove from pan and flake into bite-size pieces.

Warm corn tortillas. Top with fish, sauce, salsa, cabbage and avocado.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

My kids MIGHT eat fish in a taco....