December 10, 2011

Popcorn

Popcorn has long been one of my favorite foods. It's near the top of my list along with black licorice. I love popcorn, but only home-popped in oil on the stove. Microwave popcorn, no way. It smells amazing, but the taste never lives up. Air-popped is better, but I miss the deep flavor that comes from cooking it in oil. All it needs is a little butter and salt, and I've got the snack of my dreams. Seriously, I get cravings for popcorn, and not just recently.

UPDATE 3/28/13: I have been using a foil lid for the pan instead of the pan lid, and it works much better. Prepare a piece of foil with holes pricked with a fork before heating pan of oil. Once popcorn kernels have been added to the pan, quickly secure the foil over the pan as a lid. This method yields more popped kernels for some reason.


Popcorn

popcorn
1 Tbsp. canola oil or ghee
1-2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
fine sea salt, to taste

Get out a large bowl and place it near the stove. Heat canola oil in a large pot. Add one kernel and wait for it to pop. Once it does, carefully remove it from the pot. Add enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the pot in a single layer. Quickly cover it with a lid. Using a potholder, carefully hold the lid on the pot and shake it every 10 seconds or so. Keep shaking until the popping stops or almost stops. Remove from heat and pour into large bowl. Pour on melted butter and salt, and mix to combine.