February 4, 2011

Mini Cranberry Apple Tarts

I only made this dessert because I had the ingredients and was trying to use them up: pie crust in the freezer, apples from the fall market, leftover fresh cranberries. I'm so glad because the result was very cute and yummy!

Because I only had half the cranberries and apples needed, I decided I would use mini tart pans. Because more crust is needed to make more mini pies, I used a whole pie dough recipe (for one regular-sized crust) with a half recipe of pie filling. This yielded 6 mini tarts and 3 slightly-larger ramekins. Obviously, for individual pies, less baking time is needed. I didn't time it exactly, but I'm pretty sure I baked them for at least 45 minutes.



Deep Dish Cranberry Apple Pie
from An Apple Pie

pie dough for one crust

Filling:
7 cups green apples (about 5 medium apples) peeled, cored, and cut into twelfths
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups fresh cranberries (1 12-oz. bag)
1 cup sugar

Crumb topping:
5 Tablespoons of butter, chopped
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cups flour

Roll out the dough to a 16" round between lightly-floured wax papers and gently place the pancake (without the wax paper, of course) in a pie pan (11-inch deep dish), making sure it doesn't stretch. Trim the overhang and decorate the edge however you want.

In a large bowl, mix the filling ingredients. Spoon the mixture into the pie crust, mounding the fruit in the center.

In a small bowl, mix the crumb topping ingredients until the mixture is homogeneous and sandy. Cover the fruit in the crumb topping and bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 1 hour and 20-30 minutes. Suggestion: Place foil on the rack below where you place the pie in order to catch any spillage. When finished, cool it on a rack.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I can verify that they are very, very good. :)