April 3, 2010

Strawberry Cupcakes

I was tempted to buy strawberries, even though I knew it was too early in the season and that they probably wouldn't be very flavorful.  And, yep, they weren't that good.  But hidden in these cupcakes and enhanced by sugar, I couldn't tell the strawberries lacked flavor.  I made these into mini cupcakes because I wanted to share them, so I wanted more than the regular size yield of 12.  I made my own strawberry puree by washing and hulling strawberries and processing in a food processor until chunks disappeared.  I added the leftover puree to plain yogurt - yum!

The original frosting recipe made way too much and was very runny. (see photo below).   Since making these cupcakes the first time, I have experimented with the frosting recipe.  My version is more firm. 


Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream-Cheese Frosting
Recipe from Deborah Mele (Adapted from Martha Stewart) - italianfoodforever.com

2/3 cup strawberry puree
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Dash of salt
1/4 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted, softened butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs

For the Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 Tbsp. unsalted, softened butter
1/2 8-oz. package cream cheese (4 ounces)
2 Tbsp. strawberry puree
2-3 cups confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place paper muffin liners in a 12 piece cupcake pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into one bowl. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each. Add the milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree. Add half the sifted flour mixture and mix on low speed. Add the remaining flour and continue to mix until blended. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 cupcake liners and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in a center cupcake comes out clean. Cool.

To make the frosting, cream together the butter and cream cheese. Add the strawberry puree, and begin to add the confectioner's sugar until you reach desired consistency. Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!

No comments: