December 9, 2012

Brownies with Ganache

Many times I'd rather search out a new recipe instead of make one tried and true. Yes, often it ends in something unmemorable, though usually satisfying. I think it's my brain rather than my taste buds that are seeking a new challenge. This time, I was highly rewarded. This recipe for brownies on first glance may seem uninspired, but for me, I can't wait to make them again.

These brownies were fudgy, but also airy and, in a word, amazing. My first love in desserts is of the heavy and rich variety, but as I age I lean more towards light. These magical brownies satisfied both of those loves, in a way. Maybe you'll make them and think I'm crazy, but I'm sure I wasn't imagining the fluffy density provided by these dichotomous morsels.

Oh, yes, then there's the ganache... I think I've found the perfect chocolate dessert.


Chocolate Lovers Brownies
adapted from Milk and Honey

2 sticks (1 c.) unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
1/2 c. dark chocolate, finely chopped (semi-sweet chocolate chips work well)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sour cream
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain flour OR white whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Ganache:
1 c. dark chocolate, finely chopped
6 tablespoons cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8x8-inch square cake pan, line the base with parchment paper and set aside.

Place the butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at half power in 30 second intervals, stirring between each heating. Continue until both are completely melted.

Sift sugar and cocoa powder. Add to the butter/chocolate mixture. Beat in (by hand) the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth. Fold in flour and salt.

Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly.

Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool in pan on cooling rack.

For the Ganache:
Place the chopped chocolate into a small bowl. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, heat the butter and cream over medium heat, stirring constantly. When mixture is almost boiling, pour over the chocolate. Let stand for 30 seconds. Then, stir until smooth.

Pour ganache over cooled brownies and spread evenly.

Allow ganache to firm before cutting brownies.

No comments: